Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lolita

Dumb that I thought the quote I deliberately use for Commanhole's fashion sister (coming soon, fashion.commanhole.com) is from a Fiona Apple song. 

"Do you think I'm sexy, do you think I really care?"

The notebook smells like 2004, really. It feels too long.
The doodle is a hand-written copy of "Virgin State of Mind" lyric, with a little bit of spice, of course.


It is a line from K's Choice's "Virgin State of Mind". Back in Napster era, I was beginning to enter Apple's fan base, and a careless search got me to download the song mistakenly. They do sound alike: the instruments, the lyrics, the hushes and the spite.

Years later, I found out the true origins of the song and seek forgiveness. Now, after building and launching Fashion Commanhole (which encountered me with a doodle from the above song, dating back to October 2005), I found another connection of it to a book and then a movie. Bizarre, bizarre, and googling really helps.

"Lolita" is a book written by Vladimir Nobokov, turned alive in 1962 by Stanley Kubrick (talk about scarcity), and born as a remake in 1997 by Adrian Lyne (Indecent Proposal, Flashdance) I am so inclined to read the book and watch the movie but the distance is as far as me and amazon.com. Both are available there.

Here is a video of both the song and clips from the movie, which bares what's it all about. See if you like it.

NOTE THAT THE SONG IS NOT A SOUNDTRACK TO THE MOVIE. 
Would be cool if it was, though.

Please contact me at news@commanhole.com if you have a copy. Xoxo.

No comments: